Minecraft International
Welcome to Minecraft International! If you're new, take a second to register and introduce yourself using the 'introduce yourself' category. Thank you for stopping by Smile I hope to see you again sometime!

~kwts
Minecraft International
Welcome to Minecraft International! If you're new, take a second to register and introduce yourself using the 'introduce yourself' category. Thank you for stopping by Smile I hope to see you again sometime!

~kwts
Minecraft International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MCI's Information Gateway

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Check back often, new posts and topics will be created and the community needs you!
Craft with us, hop on IP: play.minecraftinternational.net
MinecraftInternational would like to welcome all of its guests! Hope to see your face around.
Poll
How do you cook your nachos?
Microwave
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_lcap44%Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_rcap
 44% [ 8 ]
Oven (fan forced)
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_lcap22%Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
Grill
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_lcap6%Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (I don't see how else one could cook nachos)
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_lcap28%Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_vote_rcap
 28% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18
Latest topics
» Three Word Story
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 1:25 am by Zachsims520

» Hello, its me again!
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 1:10 am by Zachsims520

» White listed
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 am by Twister

» I don't know what to do here.
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm by sage

» Dish Network World Cup Cricket 2011 Channel / transfer dish network dvr to usb
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:05 am by Guest

» Hey, I'm twister
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:39 pm by God

» Oh look at that more lazy animations.
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am by God

» Rolvak's Gmod Thread
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am by Rolvak

» Minecraft username visible next to posts
Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:38 pm by God

Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is faustomarshburn

Our users have posted a total of 11760 messages in 1400 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Walking - Everything You Need to Know

Go down 
+5
MEECHIE
masterofpivot7
Justin
kidwiththeshoes
Zed
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Zed
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Zed

Posting Points : 53854

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Empty
PostSubject: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 pm

If you see any broken links or blank images in this tutorial, please either comment or PM me immediately so that I can get it fixed. Comment for preference, because that bumps this thing up the topic list Smile

So, today, children, we will be learning how to make something like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know PerfectWalk-3

I’m making this because a lot of people seem to struggle with animating a walk and I don’t like he tutorial that’s currently up here (marked ‘new’ even though it’s 2 years old).

This tutorial is not designed to give a hard and fast, “This is how to do a walk. Any other interpretation is wrong. You must copy this directly,” kind of information. Instead, I’m just going to try to get the basic essentials across and illustrate them with how I’ve applied them to my own, and how other people have applied it to theirs.

Foot Placement

The first thing to think about with a walk is the foot placement. There are two ways to do it. Either you slide the foot backwards at a constant rate, or you keep the foot exactly on the same spot.

Moving backwards constantly is designed to give the illusion that the camera is moving forward with the stick man. This is good for when you want to just animate a walk and you want the animation to run as a loop (ie. it will play over and over again and there will be no obvious gap in between). The legs of a looped walk should look something like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Walktutoriallegs

(in fact, there aren’t enough frames in that and it’s too fast, but that’s not the point)

Notice how the foot on the ground is moving back at a constant speed. If we look at it frame by frame you can see how the distance between the leg and the onion skin (the grey outline of the previous frame) is the same each time.

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement1 Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement2 Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement3
Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement4 Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement5 Walking - Everything You Need to Know Footplacement6

And so on and so forth.

Update (26/08/09): Advances in pivoting skill have been made and at least one piece of new knowledge needs to be added in here. The animation above does not exhibit this, and that's why the front leg snaps down slightly on the loop. When looping an animation, you need to make sure you do so over the heaviest piece of spacing you can find. A lot of people, myself included, would instinctively make a stride from where the stride begins. Unfortunately, this makes it incredably dificult to loop well, as the spacing around the beginning of a stride is tiny to accomodate easing. That means that when you finish the stride you have to return perfectly to your starting position, which, bearing in mind you have no onionskin to aim for, is damn near impossible. Looping around the heavy spacing means that really you just have to be going in vaguely the right direction and the easing on either side will trick the eye into accepting it without noticing a glitch.

The other variety of foot placement (the non-moving kind). It is best used when you want the stick man to move across the screen. It should look something like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Walktutoriallegsnonloop

If this looks slightly robotic to you, it’s because there is no upper-body.

Looking at it frame by frame won’t help you much here – the best it will let you do is copy, and I’m trying to avoid that. Generally, a fixed foot placement walk seems more difficult because you have more things to think about, but actually it is no different to a looped walk. All you have to do to walk your stick man forward is to treat each frame as though you were going to slide the foot back, and then only move the body of the stickman when you have finished pivoting all the rest of the joints. Without touching the leg joints at all, make the feet line back up, like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Fixedfeet1

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Fixedfeet2

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Fixedfeet3

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Fixedfeet4

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Fixedfeet5

Remember, this is all one single frame; just in varying stages of production.

Stride Length

Another important thing to consider is how long you want your strides to be. I make my walks with quite long strides, because I think it looks better and I find it easier. My walk tends to use a stride length of 1.2 times the length of the stick man’s shin, like this:

However, more or less any stride length looks reasonable. Below are some examples of other people’s work (If you have a walk that you think would fit here, PM it to me and I will add it in).

CronosXIII ->Walking - Everything You Need to Know Superpwnagewalk

Rival -> Walking - Everything You Need to Know 11vik43

Bubbles -> Walking - Everything You Need to Know Ghostlywalk

Notice how they all have different stride lengths, but none of them looks particularly wrong. The length of the strides almost makes no difference to the quality of your walk (within reasonable boundaries). The reason that you need to consider it, is to make sure that you get the same length of stride in each time. This doesn’t matter with a looped walk as the stride lengths must always be the same by default, but if you get it wrong with a non-looped walk, it may end up like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Variablestridelength

The Ground Leg

It must be straight from about the time it is directly beneath the torso to the time it is lifted. It can have a small bend while it is still in front of the torso but this must be constantly straightening until it is gone. Look at these three walks for comparison. The first is done with a slight bend at the start which then straightens under the torso. The second has a constantly bent leg. The third has a constantly straight leg.

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Walkwithbentlegs

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Walkwithstraightlegs

The difference is small, but noticeable.

The Leg in the Air

There is slightly more to the leg on the air than the one on the ground. For a start, you must make sure that the foot isn’t changing direction too quickly. When I do it, I try to make the foot’s trajectory curved and not too sharp. Observe this effect close up and in slow motion:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Backlegdemon

The foot is continuing to move backwards for some time after it has left the floor.

Bringing the foot back down to the ground is tricky too. The thigh should already be moving backwards when the foot hits the ground. The knee should still be extending at this point and will continue extending for some time afterwards. If you extend the leg too early, you end up with a stop-start kind of movement where the stick very definitively takes one step at a time. This way, all the strides are merged. Again – close and slow:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Frontlegofawalkwithexag

Also, I know it may sound silly, but don’t forget that one leg should be in the air. It seems obvious, I know, but the number of people who just don’t bother picking the foot up at all and slide it along. All that it takes to lift the foot up, is to bend the knee slightly, thus making the direct distance between the foot and the pelvis shorter, and ensuring that it doesn’t touch the ground as it moves forwards.

The Head

The head should be bobbing up and down slightly as the leg on the floor comes underneath it. Example:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Headbobx

You don’t really need to do anything to make this happen if you’re getting the foot placement right. I’m more just letting you know that it should happen, and if it hasn’t you’ve done something wrong. In a walk it should not be necessary to touch the head joint at all, and back movements should only be attempted once you’ve mastered everything in this tutorial.

In theory, the head bob should ease itself. There is a mathematical proof for this, but you don’t want to see it. Instead, here’s an example of what the head bob ought to look like:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Headbobanimated

Yeah. It’s that simple.

Here's an image by scarecrow which will hopefully make things even clearer:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know 2q0lrhh

Arms

There are many ways of doing the arms. They can be close to the body or far away, for example. It really doesn’t matter how far out they go (within reason) so long as they move at the same rate as the legs. Your arms MUST reach full extension as the legs do and the MUST cross over the body just as the legs are directly below. The must also be eased.

Beyond that, there are only two real variations on the arms that are possible. I’ll call them stiff and loose, although I’ve never seen any one except me using the loose arms so if you here someone referring to them as Zed’s arms you’ll know why.

Stiff arms will look something like this. The elbow joint remains the same all the way through and their swing is eased at either end.

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Stiffarms

Generally, there will be very little bend in the arms, but there must be some bend or it looks stupid.

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Stiffarmsstraight

The arms should appear to extend further out in front than behind. This is partly because if the bend in the arms, and partly because that’s how people naturally walk.

Loose arms are more complex, and may take some practise. They are especially difficult to loop, but if you keep trying you’ll get there eventually.

The difference between stiff and loose arms, is that with loose arms the elbow joint moves. As the upper arm slows down, the lower arm keeps on travelling in the same direction briefly before swinging back the other way. Here is an over-exaggerated example:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Exageratedloosearms

Looks a lot like a run in the opposite direction. If we tone down the exaggeration to something that you might actually want to put in an animation, it’s something like this:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Lessexageratedloosearms

Number of Frames

This is one of the most important things, and one that so many people just leave up to chance. The number of frames taken on each stride will determine how fast your stick walks. Too many, and you’re in slow motion; too few, and you have an unrealistically fast walk.

The optimum number of frames for a stride is between 10 and 12.

This uses 12:

Now see how silly it looks with half of them removed:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Toofewframes

And with extra frames added in (I’ve only done half so far because it’s been a long day. I might finish off later):

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Partslomo

When viewing your animation in pivot or any .gif viewer, it may appear that you can rectify this problem by changing the frame rate. Unfortunately, it will invariably revert back to 16fps (frame delay 6) when uploaded.

Update (31/01/10):
Feet

Feet are a reasonably simple addition. I don't tend to use them myself because I find they get more in the way than they add to the animation, but if you want to use them, here's how:

Basically, feet are a floppy extension to the leg. They need to be slightly left behind whenever the leg moves and should carry on moving slightly after the leg stops, as follows:

Walking - Everything You Need to Know Feet

You should be careful not to let the foot trail too far or it will bend beyond the natural reaches of the ankle. It only needs to be a slight bend. When used it a walk, the toes should leave the ground one frame after the heel and the heel should come down a frame before the toes.

I hope you found this tutorial useful.

Last edited by Zed on Thu May 27, 2010 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

Posting Points : 58677

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Another great tutorial. Keep it up Razz
Back to top Go down
Justin
Angel Of Death
Justin

Posting Points : 57677

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Nice tutorial. I might get back into pivot, I am not 100% sure atm.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PivOtDeStiNy
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Justin wrote:
Nice tutorial. I might get back into pivot, I am not 100% sure atm.

Yes you are.. You have too much open time, use pivot.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Angel Of Death
Justin

Posting Points : 57677

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Nice tutorial, I will start to use this as I fail at walking.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/PivOtDeStiNy
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Justin wrote:
Nice tutorial, I will start to use this as I fail at walking.

Lawler skates.
Back to top Go down
masterofpivot7

Posting Points : 53606

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Nice tut, very detailed. I don't have time to read the whole thing, but I got halfway through. You give some good advice. You should seriously consider a tutorial series specifically for this forum. I think it would help a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 pm

masterofpivot7 wrote:
Nice tut, very detailed. I don't have time to read the whole thing, but I got halfway through. You give some good advice. You should seriously consider a tutorial series specifically for this forum. I think it would help a lot of people.

That's what I was thinking, since most of the stuff in that tutorial is for DD Wink
Back to top Go down
Zed
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Zed

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:40 pm

kidwiththeshoes wrote:
masterofpivot7 wrote:

That's what I was thinking, since most of the stuff in that tutorial is for DD Wink

DD? Nah, I'm a Paigan through and through. My Demon account's just there on principles. I will consider doing a little run of tuts for here though. There's a lot of stuff at SPP that already has tuts which are good enough that I don't need to make one of my own for, but I'd enjoy being able to make something more comprehensive. Like I say, I'm probably going to do an easing/heavy spacing tut next since there isn't a good one anywhere but I'll certainly look into getting a few tailor-made for PD.
Back to top Go down
masterofpivot7

Posting Points : 53606

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Zed wrote:

DD? Nah, I'm a Paigan through and through. My Demon account's just there on principles. I will consider doing a little run of tuts for here though. There's a lot of stuff at SPP that already has tuts which are good enough that I don't need to make one of my own for, but I'd enjoy being able to make something more comprehensive. Like I say, I'm probably going to do an easing/heavy spacing tut next since there isn't a good one anywhere but I'll certainly look into getting a few tailor-made for PD.

I agree there. There isn't a nice, detailed tut for easing and spacing anywhere that I've looked. Had to learn all I know about it on my own. While trial and error is the most effective way to learn something like that, it definitely ain't easy. And yes, I really believe a tut series made especially for PD would be amazing. Hope you do (I would be glad to help you with it some if you find you don't have the time.)
Back to top Go down
MEECHIE
Elite Wolf

Posting Points : 53495

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 am

Nice tutorial dude! it would help me out if i was still a noob but great! Razz
Back to top Go down
oughton42
PivotDestiny General
oughton42

Posting Points : 56191
Location : wandering aimlessly on the plain of eternal suffering.

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 pm

This is very good Razz

It definitely helped.
Back to top Go down
Rolvak
Super Cool Story Bro
Rolvak

Minecraft Username : Rolvak
Posting Points : 52774

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:40 am

thanks just what i needed ^-^
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rolvak?feature=mhw4
buizel200
Brigadier General
buizel200

Minecraft Username : buizel200
Posting Points : 52059

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:44 pm

oh man i learnd somthing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/buizel200?feature=mhw4
sage
Angel Of Death
sage

Posting Points : 57125

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 1:47 am

congratulations buizel.
unfortunately, it wasn't how to spell
Back to top Go down
Rolvak
Super Cool Story Bro
Rolvak

Minecraft Username : Rolvak
Posting Points : 52774

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 10:02 am

sage wrote:
congratulations buizel.
lol xD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rolvak?feature=mhw4
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 10:56 am

sage wrote:
congratulations buizel.

Haha, nice man. Nice.
Back to top Go down
Zed
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Zed

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:13 am

Upgrade to Walking 2.0 completed. New features include:
- one fixed loop
- one smoothed animation
- two fixed spelling mistakes
- a body-movement illustration by The Jawz
- new walking example from Bubbles
- new layout with good example at the top so that people aren't put off by the shoddy one

Thank you for installing the updated version. Have a nice day, and keep on walking Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking - Everything You Need to Know   Walking - Everything You Need to Know I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walking - Everything You Need to Know
Page 1 of 1