Minecraft International
Welcome to Minecraft International! If you're new, take a second to register and introduce yourself using the 'introduce yourself' category. Thank you for stopping by Smile I hope to see you again sometime!

~kwts
Minecraft International
Welcome to Minecraft International! If you're new, take a second to register and introduce yourself using the 'introduce yourself' category. Thank you for stopping by Smile I hope to see you again sometime!

~kwts
Minecraft International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MCI's Information Gateway

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Check back often, new posts and topics will be created and the community needs you!
Craft with us, hop on IP: play.minecraftinternational.net
MinecraftInternational would like to welcome all of its guests! Hope to see your face around.
Poll
How do you cook your nachos?
Microwave
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_lcap44%Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_rcap
 44% [ 8 ]
Oven (fan forced)
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_lcap22%Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
Grill
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_lcap6%Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Other (I don't see how else one could cook nachos)
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_lcap28%Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_vote_rcap
 28% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18
Latest topics
» Three Word Story
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 1:25 am by Zachsims520

» Hello, its me again!
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 1:10 am by Zachsims520

» White listed
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 am by Twister

» I don't know what to do here.
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm by sage

» Dish Network World Cup Cricket 2011 Channel / transfer dish network dvr to usb
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:05 am by Guest

» Hey, I'm twister
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:39 pm by God

» Oh look at that more lazy animations.
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am by God

» Rolvak's Gmod Thread
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am by Rolvak

» Minecraft username visible next to posts
Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:38 pm by God

Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 650 registered users
The newest registered user is faustomarshburn

Our users have posted a total of 11760 messages in 1400 subjects
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Flow - Everything You Need To Know

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zed
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Zed

Posting Points : 54044

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Empty
PostSubject: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Flow – Everything I Know, And So, Hopefully, Everything You Need To Know

What is flow?
Flow, or fluidity, is keeping your animations moving constantly without changing the momentum. It’s avoiding unnecessary stoppages and making everything move smoothly and pleasantly. It makes an animation look better because when an animation is flowing the eye is instinctively looking at where it expects the animation to be next, and the less work you make a viewer’s eyes do the better.

Take a look at some examples:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know TheCombo-3

This animation flows. The movement never stops and all the momentum is carried on. He changes direction a few times but it is always guided around in such a way as to let everything keep going. I’ll show you how to do this better later.

Flow - Everything You Need To Know FlowingFlipstests

This animation mostly flows. When I started making it I wanted it to be my primary example, but I made a mistake and decided it would be easier to highlight the mistake than fix it. If you look closely you’ll see that he speeds up after the first handspring and then slows down again when he hits the ground. This is bad flow, because the speed changes unnecessarily.

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Flipandroll

This does not flow. There are sudden changes of direction and some things aren’t moving some of the time. Momentum is lost with no real cause. Worst of all, there is shakiness. Shakiness instantly destroys flow. If you are aiming for flow there cannot be a single frame that goes back on itself.

So how do I do it?
For most movements it will be the natural state of things. Look at this walk:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Perfectwalk-2

There’s nothing special about it beyond the fact that I made it (which instantly makes it awesome) but it all flows. If it didn’t flow it would not be an accurate representation of a walk. Some people’s walks do not flow, however. If you do one step at a time like this:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know 564423Failwalk

then you are not flowing properly. The steps need to merge into one another. The point is, when you’re doing more than one movement the end of the last movement needs to be the start of the next. See how in my first example the front foot is already moving backwards when it hits the floor? That’s because in the next movement – the next step – that’s the direction that that foot is going to be moving. At the back of the stride the foot keeps going backwards for a moment after lifting off. Same principle. If it takes it one step at a time and moves forwards, back, forwards, back, then that’s precisely what he’s doing. He takes a step. He takes another step. No one moves like that.

Apply the same principle to this animation:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know TheCombo-3

Watch the hand from the first punch. It doesn’t stop moving after the punch, but goes straight back around into the reaction hand for the strike. Watch the hand that doesn’t punch. After moving back as reaction for the punch it curves around without stopping into the strike. No pauses – fluid movement.

As opposed to this one:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know 5ppnyd

In which he stops his hands after the first punch before the second one starts.

Circles
“But I want to change direction!” I hear you cry. Fear not, dear fellow. Nature hath provided us a means to get around the problem without the need to stop. You see, rather than moving from left to right and then back again like this:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Notflowy

We are going to be moving from left to right and then easing out of the horizontal motion straight into vertical motion[/I] and then around further into the horizontal motion the opposite way, like this:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Flowy

See? The speed is never reduced – just redirected. If we were to track the middle of the balls along the bottom we would see that the horizontal easing is more or less the same for both. The only difference is the height.

That doesn’t look so impressive just with circles, so here it is when you give the circles legs:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Circlewalker-1

See? Constant movement.

Multiple jumps
Jumping with flow is a funny one, because you have to have enough time on the floor to do the jump, and also not so much time on the floor that you seem to slow down and lose momentum. Mostly this is how to do it (minus the small handspring issue mentioned earlier):

Flow - Everything You Need To Know FlowingFlipstests

The trick is to hit the ground at an angle rather than horizontally, so that you can absorb the impact and bend the knees whilst the body is getting itself vertical and then extend as it goes past. Here’s an example of what I mean slowed down and zoomed in:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Slowfliptransition

Think of it like going into a roll. When you go to roll you hit the ground at an angle and then leave at an angle:

Flow - Everything You Need To Know Roll

That’s what you have to do when jumping, just upside down and back to front.

I hope you’ve found this tutorial helpful. If there is anything more you would like to know on the subject, feel free to either PM me or leave a comment. Feel free to PM me or leave a comment anyway. I always like a good PM.

Last edited by Zed on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums
Zed
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Zed

Posting Points : 54044

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm really getting a feeling that I've missed something crucial. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I've forgotten to mention?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stickpageportal.com/forums
Rolvak
Super Cool Story Bro
Rolvak

Minecraft Username : Rolvak
Posting Points : 52964

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:08 pm

hmmm intersting tutorial i like it :3
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rolvak?feature=mhw4
kidwiththeshoes
Cobra Commander
kidwiththeshoes

Posting Points : 58867

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 pm

This is truly amazing Zed. I didn't see anything missing, it's just amazing.
Back to top Go down
True Underdog
Private First Class
True Underdog

Posting Points : 51748

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm

I hate you. You are too good at PIVOT and yet I guarantee I'm still a low beg. I dunno.. Sad
Back to top Go down
pivguy
corporal
pivguy

Posting Points : 52313

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 am

tnx Zed it helped alot....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdrenalineAnims
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flow - Everything You Need To Know   Flow - Everything You Need To Know I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flow - Everything You Need To Know
Page 1 of 1